Friday, February 21, 2014

Dinner for a busy evening

I am a homeschooling mom of 3 with a pilot husband.  We are busy, just like so many other families.  Last night after Punky's gymnastics class and before Sunshine's martial arts class was dinner time.  I menu plan every week but sometimes I'm just not feeling it.  Last night was one of those nights.  The menu said spinach fettuccine.  This is a family favorite (it used to include shrimp but is absolutely delicious veganized) but I wanted to change things up.  Plus, I was avoiding the grocery store (forgot to pick up the noodles earlier in the week).  Anything to avoid the grocery store, right?

I had about 1/3 pkg. of fine, whole wheat spaghetti noodles that I cooked to al dente.  In a large pan, I melted about 1 T seasoned Earth Balance spread and 1 tsp olive oil.  I added about 5 oz. fresh spinach and the grape tomatoes (halved) that I had on hand.  The spinach wilted down and the tomatoes swam in the seasoned "butter".  As soon as the noodles were ready, I strained them and added them to the seasoned veggies and tossed.  Delicious!

We used an extra sub roll to make garlic toast under the broiler (more Earth Balance spread, olives, and non-dairy cheese of your choice), and our busy evening meal was complete!

Tip: Add freshly ground pepper, to taste, after plating the food.  My Punky does NOT like pepper in her food, so we use it sparingly during the cooking process.


No comments:

Post a Comment